[update #5 – part 2]

More of “The Big Drive North

The other day (after heading a sad and hearty fare thee well to a bunch of nice people) I packed the car so full of stuff that [Seriously funny analogy/call back type line here ala “that car was so fat” “how fat was it” “that car was so fat that instead of ‘wash me’ the back window started speaking Spanish . . . it was all like ‘nada mas. . .’ all like ‘lo siento – pues este es muy necessaro que tu throw some of this junk out!!’ heh heh heh” – yeah – definitely something like all of that.] – so full that it was very full – what more can I say?

The dog (Irving Brown Socks) was also making the trip – and the worst part of the whole ordeal came early on for him when after attempting to leave my first stop out of town . . . I hopped into the car to find him whining and whimpering – very urgently – and after quickly checking him out to figure out the problem – my stomach turned when I found that the tip – and seriously just just the tip of his tail was stuck in the door. He received multiple treats – and I am happy to say that he has shown no ill effects since this little misunderstanding happened – although I did notice that the trip to the rocking chair factory that he had organized for the family in North Carolina at the end of the month has been cancelled – so that is a bit sad.

Basically the drive was the drive – the same old drive that it always is – roughly 865 miles of awesome broken up by the stop at Long John Silver’s (where I did buy a bottle of their special Malt Vinegar for some odd reason) in South Carolina (after some outlets – but before that really big peach thing), stopping at a Wal-Mart in North Carolina to pick up a 12 (twelve) pack of Cheerwine, stopping in Virginia to get a personal pan pizza at a Pizza Hut (which morphed into an order of breadsticks and a medium pizza – all of it none too tasty) and then stopping a couple of times to take quick naps (which should be read as – either pull over right now – or end up on the local newscast and in the local weekly newspaper as that crazy driving guy that they found sleeping in his car in the middle of Farmer McSweeney’s barn – or something). The first nap was just a straight forward rest stop 1/2 (one half) hour – but the second was a tiny bit more interesting . . . I couldn’t find a rest stop anywhere – and so finally I got off on an exit and went into an office park where I nestled my little Jetta in between a couple of vans and proceeded to put my head against the television in the next seat. Before I could pass out – in the dim lights of the parking lot – I saw a tiny bunny hopping directly in front of me and then away . . . it was one of those nice moments – you know – the ones where tiny bunnies hop across your path in the middle of the night on their way to a late night bunny tea party or something – just the kind of moments that make me happy/keep me going.

When I got to the new headquarters – I rang the bell – said mumble mumble so so tired and went in to sleep it all off.

Everything except the tiny bunny that is – I honestly liked that part . . .